DISCLAIMER

All information is correct at the date of posting. The blog is usually updated on a weekly basis, often every few days, dependent on RL and the availability of material to blog. Please do not write to complain that a slurl no longer works or that a location has disappeared. It's Second Life, remember? Things change with great speed. Locations/stores blogged are listed in the sidebar, and updated frequently. If somewhere has moved location or closed, please use the inworld search box to look for it.

Saturday 29 May 2010

Come to the cabaret, old chum...

You know, 'erotic' comes in many different guises. I keep referring back to Tiny's lingerie because that vintage glamour has so much more to offer than the concept of a piece of dental floss stuck between the cheeks of my bottom and called a 'tanga' or 'thong'. Oh, don't get me wrong, there are sims where that thong is is ideal beach wear, but it's an entirely different sexuality, and realistically not 'erotic'.

So I spend a lot of time bouncing around the grid in search of glamour that just oozes implied sexuality, something that has what I regard as the very essence of 'erotic'.

And so I found 1920s Berlin Project (1920s Weimar Republic Germany) sim. The essence of that period, before and just as the Nazis were coming into power, is wonderfully captured in the film Cabaret (was there ever a finer Liza Minnelli performance?)

The sim requests period costume, and helpfully offers freebie outfits for you to get into character. As well as this there is a shop where further vintage outfits are available at reasonable prices. I've not yet availed of those, as I'm not sure yet how often I wish to re-visit the sim (quite simply because I have other sims to explore, such is the nature of this blog), but if I were to be looking for something glamorous, and slightly decadent, without there being an overt sexuality, this would certainly be the type of sim I'd be landmarking.

Having been in Berlin (more recently than the 1920s, lol!) I must say that there's a nice capturing of the general architectural ambience of Berlin, particularly the former East Berlin, with the cobbled streets and greenery near the Unter den Linden (literally, Under the Linden Trees). There's some fabulous period advertising on the walls, and at the tp entry point you can even buy mp3s of period music.

Finally, I found 'Der Kellar' (The Cellar), the sim's dance hall, complete with period music and the opportunity to join a troupe of dancing girls like the Ziegfield Follies. I also liked the orchestra pit, something I've never seen in SL previously. The sim was quiet when I visited, but I get the impression that it is minor RP (i.e people innocently dressing and speaking 'in character') which could be a lot of fun if there were a few people around. It just has enough of a sense of glamour, with sexposes absent, to create electricity between avatars. Exceptionally well done, and I'll get back there at a time when I imagine (European evening times?) when I imagine there'll be more of a crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment