DISCLAIMER

All information is correct at the date of posting. The blog is usually updated on a weekly basis, often every few days, dependent on RL and the availability of material to blog. Please do not write to complain that a slurl no longer works or that a location has disappeared. It's Second Life, remember? Things change with great speed. Locations/stores blogged are listed in the sidebar, and updated frequently. If somewhere has moved location or closed, please use the inworld search box to look for it.

Sunday 27 June 2010

Libertines and virgins

Promiscuity in men may cheapen love but sharpen thought. Promiscuity in women is illness, a leakage of identity. The promiscuous woman is self-contaminated and incapable of clear ideas. She has ruptured the ritual integrity of her body.

Camille Paglia


As someone who routinely reads profiles, of almost everyone I meet, I've been struck by the number of SL women for whom sex is most definitely off their agenda and whose profiles reflect this. I've been amongst their number, too, until I conceived this blog, but I've been actively seeking out women (and the occasional male) for whom SL sex is 'stupid', 'dumb', 'pointless' and 'ridiculous' (their words, not mine).

One woman I spoke to insisted on remaining anonymous, but had the following to say about cyber. (IM exchanges reworked into a flowing narrative).

'I'm married in RL, and happily so, so I don't quite comprehend the fascination for and emphasis on cybersex. I'm guessing that there needs to be something missing in a person's RL sex life, or relationship, for them to regard the whole process as necessary. I believe that cybersex is a refuge for the lonely or unhappy. For some, it's maybe the sex life they dreamed of in their youth, in RL, but it never happened for whatever reason. And for some guys I think it's almost like playing FIFA2010 (soccer computer game), and they're trying to score as much as possible. I don't need that. My RL provides me with the love and physicality I need. I don't think of it as adultery, although some players do, but I'm still not enthusiastic about the idea. What do I do? Type one-handed and fiddle with myself under the computer desk? The whole thing is just silly.'

Agree? Disagree? Let me know.

2 comments:

  1. It was nice to see the wonderful write and blog here. I saw you once in SL... and thought of going through your blog as mentioned in your profile. Finally I did landed here today.
    Well, whatever the anonymous lady has answered to you, is simply a personal opinion which depends person to person.
    Erotic is actually different from sex. Sex is a crude word while eroticism is a merger of romance with sex, you start with romance... slowly moving towards the pleasures of the small actions.
    Well, as mentioned, that SL sex is only for those who have something missing in RL... I don't agree with that.
    It is a kind of simulation, fantasy and an art at which very few are skilled at. There is nothing wrong as it simply gives a way to your creativity. A person who writes a story doesn't means that he has nothing in his life and that is the reason he is into it.
    SL eroticism... I better say it like that.... is what is neeeded by an erotic writer to explore and find the ways to put it in front of the world in the best known form.
    Liked your post Emmanueelle.... and would love to meet you sometimes at SL.... to live and explore the virtue of Eroticism a bit deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your words, Adroit. Yes, the words expressed are one opinion, and I respect your right to disagree with it. In fact, I also wouldn't agree with it. But this is the crux of this blog. To throw up opinions and counter-opinions regarding a dominant force in SL, and to how each of us approaches it. Thanks again for your comment.

    ReplyDelete