DISCLAIMER

All information is correct at the date of posting. The blog is usually updated on a weekly basis, often every few days, dependent on RL and the availability of material to blog. Please do not write to complain that a slurl no longer works or that a location has disappeared. It's Second Life, remember? Things change with great speed. Locations/stores blogged are listed in the sidebar, and updated frequently. If somewhere has moved location or closed, please use the inworld search box to look for it.

Wednesday 2 March 2011

SL frustration! (and more nipplephobia)


There are times when I don't feel like playing SL. I've too much to do, too tired, the computer chair's not that comfortable for a 3 hour shift, or I'm just feeling bored with it. There's nothing new.

What I've learned is that as soon as this feeling washes over you, there are a range of new items just around the corner, as soon as you've decided to give SL a break for a couple of days, that you must have, must own, must photograph, desire, crave and covet.

Not all of the flowing, spring dresses fir the remit of this blog, of course, but there are still a couple of cute little items I want to show you. Boom, at the Old Costa Rica sim, is currently doing free black hot pants complete with a 'censored' board for the breasts. I often find it exceptionally odd the way nipples are such a no-no in SL as one tours various design stores. While it's a virtual reality, it appears we can't shake off the real life morality (good or bad) that the societies we live in end up reflecting in SL.

In the main, Americans appear to have a great phobia for nipples being displayed, while Europeans have a much more laid back approach to them. While not a hard and fast rule, the origins of designers and the stores they run often do reflect this, and it's certainly reflected in the blogging world. When I saw the 'censored' board for the breasts, as if there was something intrinsically bad about part of the female anatomy, I knew I had to get it and photograph it, but Malgorzata beat me to the punch and the photo (above) landed in my inbox. She's obviously thought exactly the same as I did, as I was also going to post a similar photograph!!!

Yes, censor nipples, but leave the genitalia bare, lol. It's a cute and lovely little addition to my (and Mal's) SL inventory, but says something about the odd moralities at play in the real world being reflected in SL.


No comments:

Post a Comment