DISCLAIMER

All information is correct at the date of posting. The blog is usually updated on a weekly basis, often every few days, dependent on RL and the availability of material to blog. Please do not write to complain that a slurl no longer works or that a location has disappeared. It's Second Life, remember? Things change with great speed. Locations/stores blogged are listed in the sidebar, and updated frequently. If somewhere has moved location or closed, please use the inworld search box to look for it.

Monday 29 November 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness month




We're late with this, and it's not our usual sort of posting, but I felt it was important enough to post anyway, as it's relevant to all women. I received a small portfolio of photographs featuring poses from Glitterati (they're free!) to highlight Breast Cancer Awareness, and also the following text from Silje Krokus, who runs the 'Over 50' group in SL. I'll therefore hand this post straight over to Silje, and let her explain in her own words.

Emma


'Hi. I'm Silje (a European variant on Celia) and I run the 'Over 50' group in SL for those of us who are exactly as the name implies. I don't know how it is elsewhere in the world but once over 50 in the UK, women are invited to have mammograms for the early detection of breast cancer, which I believe is one of the major cancers that result in death in women around the globe. I saw that Glitterati were offering free poses to highlight breast cancer, and so with some trepidation I got my kit off, lol, and posed for some photographs by Diane Toxx, whom I believe you know. As your blog seems to encourage a little skin, I'd be grateful if you'd agree to post one or two and use them to highlight the issue and make women aware for the need to self-check regularly for lumps or anything abnormal, and also to make them aware of the need to have mammograms regularly. I'll link your blog to my group if you're in agreement, and maybe we can use SL to highlight awareness about this horrible illness, which is a cause close to my heart as it killed both my mother and an aunt. Another aunt underwent a mastectomy when cancer was discovered. Please write back with a yes or no'.

There could be no 'no'. I agree with all Silje wrote, and her IM is offered in its entirety. I'm more than happy to highlight the issue and encourage all female readers of this blog to self-examine, and for male readers to get their wives, girlfriends or significant others to do the same.

Poses 2 and 3 (above) are from the set, and Diane says she was struck by the fact that Silje used a 'mature' avi that we're all agreed looks fabulously sexy, proving that a carefully constructed avi can reflect the user's real age, and still look stunning. Diane cajoled Silje into removing her glasses (photo 1) and you have to agree that she looks simply fabulous! We don't all have to have that early 20s, eternal youth, Dorian Gray look, do we?

By the way, if you're over 50 and in world, look up Silje's group. They seem to be fairly active with events in world.

No comments:

Post a Comment