DISCLAIMER

All information is correct at the date of posting. The blog is usually updated on a weekly basis, often every few days, dependent on RL and the availability of material to blog. Please do not write to complain that a slurl no longer works or that a location has disappeared. It's Second Life, remember? Things change with great speed. Locations/stores blogged are listed in the sidebar, and updated frequently. If somewhere has moved location or closed, please use the inworld search box to look for it.

Sunday 24 October 2010

The Dead play Eden Naturopolis



'I'm resident at the Eden Naturopolis sim (tp takes you to the main entrance hall, not my apartment, lol), so wandering around I'm fully aware of what events are imminent. Yesterday it was the turn of the SL Grateful Dead to appear, with part of the harbour converted into a massive floating stage and dance area. This was my first SL gig, and my first Dead concert, so I was very interested to see how the entire process operated. Despite being, er, dead, both Gerry and Pigpen looked pretty chipper on it, and the organisation behind it all was impressive.

A huge stage (I nipped around the back while the curtain was still down, then slipped away before anyone should mistake me for a groupie), massive and very, very impressive lighting rig, mixing desk, the entire works had been rezzed to provide an authentic looking layout of an actual concert, including freebie lighters to wave in the air and, because it was the Dead, fat doobies. Because I wanted to report on it all with a clear head, I decided not to partake myself but with the heady aroma of herbal smoke surrounding me began to make me feel, um, happy!

Kicking off bang on time, the Dead performed a series of crowd favourites and, judging by some of the commentary, less well know tunes. They're not a band I'm familiar with other than by reputation, so I was enormously surprised by the laidback country-tinged vibe to the music. I had expected something more spacey and psychedelic.

I've no idea how much of an audience SL gigs attract, but I was certainly impressed by the turnout. With SL existing as a social tool, there were certainly plenty of social opportunities to chat with others and, happily, most conversation appeared to be taking place in local chat, so it added to a very social vibe. I confess that I sat and watched, taking in the experience rather than dancing or inhaling, and cammed around while listening to music all totally new to me. I'm not really in a position to judge what people thought about their set, but the crossfading from one track to another was seamless, and the music just flowed.

I'll be following the Dead in their further SL adventures, certainly, and I should also add that Abba are coming to Eden Naturopolis next Friday, October 29th. I'm not the world's greatest Abba fan, or even a midde ranking one (they actually leave me cold), but I'll certainly be toddling along to share the experience.

Check out the Eden website, which will keep you aware of all the happenings in the sim, and also includes photo albums. In time, they may also include some snaps from the Dead concert.

In the meantime, a couple of snaps of mine are attached to this post'

(Ella Keng, Eden resident)

No comments:

Post a Comment